Vermicelli Kheer is popularly known as ‘Seviyan Kheer’ in India. It is a sweet Indian dessert recipe which is easy and delicious as well.
Mostly this kheer is prepared during occasions and festivals. Vermicelli Kheer is a renowned dessert item during Eid. That version consists of much more dry fruits and nuts, named as Sheer Khurma.
This kheer is made from Seviyan or Vermicelli along with milk, sugar and, dry fruits of any choice.
The traditional Vermicelli Kheer recipe includes Ghee in roasting the Seviyan. The nutty and smoky aroma of the vermicelli roasted in ghee is worth to die for. 😉
Apart from the taste, this recipe is well known as it is less time taking. You can prepare this kheer within 20 minutes.
Everybody at my place desires for some sweets after a meal. Either it can be Ladoo or some rice pudding or maybe some kheer. This mouth-watering sweet dish comes as a savior during those times.
Quick and simple, beginners or hostelers can also give a try to the Vermicelli Kheer recipe.
It tastes so delicious that nobody would be able to resist it.
A spoonful of Vermicelli Kheer = A mouth full of delicacy.
This kheer can be a lovely treat for your sudden guests as well.
Vermicelli Kheer can be served both warm and chilled. If you want to serve it chilled, you can always store it in the refrigerator. The dish can be preserved for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. But try to avoid storing it for too long as the taste will get reduced.
Some quick tips to prepare Vermicelli Kheer:
- While frying or roasting the Seviyan or Vermicelli strands in ghee, make sure to stir it continuously so that it does not get burned.
- Do not replace ghee with some other kinds of oil as it will compromise on the taste and the kheer would not taste that great.
- You can use any kind of dry fruits in this recipe. I have used cashew nuts and raisins here. If you want to add some other variations like almonds, pistachios please do that.
- Try to use full-fat milk in this kheer. That would enhance the texture and taste of the kheer. However, if you want to make a healthier version, you can replace the cow milk with almond milk or coconut milk or even low-fat milk.
Some more dessert recipes that you may like:
Without delaying further, let’s look at the recipe.
Vermicelli Kheer Recipe
- 1 cup Vermicelli or Seviyan
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or Clarified Butter
- 1-2 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon Raisins
- 1 litre Milk
- 6-7 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom powder or crushed Elaichi
How to prepare Vermicelli Kheer or Seviyan Kheer - Step by Step recipe
- Firstly, take a heavy-bottomed pan or kadhai and heat the pan on high flame. Take some ghee and bay leaf into the pan.
- After the ghee is heated well enough, modify the flame to low. Add the Vermicelli. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add the chopped cashew nuts with the vermicelli.
- Roast the vermicelli along with the nuts in ghee on medium flame till its color changes into a nice golden brown texture.
- After that, add the milk carefully into the pan.
- Let it boil. Stir the vermicelli and milk occasionally. Add the required amount of sugar and mix it well.
- Cook the kheer until the milk evaporates and the consistency becomes a bit thicker.
- When the consistency of the kheer satisfies you, turn the flame off. It should not be too watery consistency. Rather it should be a nice and thick yummy mixture.
- Finally, add some cardamom powder and the raisins into the kheer. Mix all well and cover the lid. Let it rest for some time, say 10 minutes.
- Place the Vermicelli or Seviyan Kheer in a serving bowl and enjoy the delicacy! 🙂